When you want to buy a diamond with confidence, having an idea of shape is important as well. This is certainly a matter of preference. However, some shapes may offer more fire and brilliance than others.
The most common diamond shape is the round brilliant. According to the GIA, “It’s estimated that 75% of all diamonds sold are round-shaped and according to research by The Knot, 53% of engagement ring center stones are round.”
Diamond shapes other than the round brilliant are called fancy shapes, or fancies. The princess, oval, heart, emerald, pear, and marquise are all fancy-shaped diamonds.
A few diamond shapes:
- Round Brilliant:
- This is the most popular shape. Round shapes date back to the 1700s, but the modern round brilliant came about in the early 1900s, engineered to maximize fire and brilliance.
- This square shape brings out pure brilliance. The light interacts with princess diamonds in a very unique way.
- If you want an emphasis on size, this shape is perfect. It also makes the finger of those who wear it more slender in appearance.
- This shape offers sophistication by calling attention to the color and clarity of the stone. The large, step-cut facets offer large flashes of light and a clear view into the stone.
- The oval displays a very powerful brilliance that can only be matched by a round brilliant cut diamond. They are also very versatile, and not very common for those with an eclectic style or who want to stand out from the crowd.
- This diamond shape is similar to the emerald with step-cut facets. It is, however, square. The epitome of vintage opulence, it has been the shape of choice for many well-known people, from Elizabeth Taylor to Zooey Deschanel.
Other prominent diamond shapes include the cushion, pear, radiant, and heart. While style will drive the decision about what shape to buy more than anything else, each shape has unique advantages and disadvantages from cost to brilliance to accentuated color or clarity. Once you decide on a shape, be sure to find out more about what to look for from a professional.